Bathrobes

These were made quickly and out of desperation.

IMG_5929

There could be lots of explanation here, but lets just leave it that our mornings are early and bathrobes are easier than multiple trips up and downstairs.

I bought two fleece blankets from the thriftstore and used a bit of fleece I had around. ¬†They aren’t exactly the color combos I would have chosen, but the girls are pretty thrilled with them and Favor even learned how to tie a bow with them.

IMG_5923I sort-of traced their rain jackets for the pattern, but I lengthened the front openings, and made the hoods a few different ways, and hoped they would work, which they mostly did.

IMG_5932 IMG_5928

 

Photos were taken (quickly and in bad light) in front of our (unclean) chalk board wall!

Advertisements

Organizing Fabric

Yes, you’re reading the post byline correctly: The husband is writing a crafty blog entry.  This will be the first of several (or many) of my DIY posts, written as I journey through this season of life as a stay-at-home dad. 

Because of her various sewing projects, Sarah’s always had a bunch of random fabric lying around in boxes and shelves.  The disorganization made it hard for her to find a specific color or pattern when she would start new projects.  We’re in the middle of setting up her craft room in our neato finished attic loft area, so it was an opportune time to organize that pile of fabric.

First we looked at other bloggers’ fabric organization systems in order to get ideas.  A lot of people seem to use “The Fabric Organizer”.  Very functional and neat looking, but at almost $2 a board, we had to find a cheaper alternative.  the little green bean used foam core board, which ends up looking the same at a fraction of the price.  At the cheapest online price, each of those boards costs about $0.44 to make.  However, we thought the foam core board might get bent pretty easily and eventually need replacing.

Our solution: Hardboard.  We wandered the lumber aisles at Home Depot and stumbled on something that looked perfect for our project.

We used 1/8 in thick hardboard, 4 x 8 ft.  The guys at the nearby cuttings station were able to cut it down to pieces 1 sq. ft. each (they weren’t able to do any smaller than that).  When I did a return trip to get more made, I found out they usually charge for cutting stuff for you.  But the second guy did it for free also!  Each hardboard sheet yielded 32 squares, so it ended up costing just $0.25 a board!  And it’s a material that seems like it’ll last a long time.

At home, we folded and wrapped all the loose fabric around the boards.  For lesser amounts, we did two pieces of fabric per board.  After a little bit of color organizing, we loaded up a set of spare bookshelves and ended up with this:

Stay tuned for more posts of Sarah’s craft room!